Today, in an act of absolute cowardice, Donald Trump used the cover of national security to declare a vicious and unwarranted attack on immigrant and refugee communities in this country. But this is not just an attack of immigrant and refugee communities, this is an attack on ALL Americans and the values that define us.
The Executive Orders issued this week are no exception. Trump has doubled down on his effort to divide this country by casting immigrants, refugees and Muslims as the source of the country’s economic pains and security risks. Throughout his campaign, and continuing to this day, Trump has offered extreme solutions for problems that do not actually exist. Whether to mollify the most extremist anti-immigrant members of his party or distract the American public from his frequent falsehoods or offensive statements, Trump has made it his business to propagate dangerous falsehoods about American immigrant communities.
- Building a Wall (that Mexico will definitely, certainly (not) pay for)
- Ending the so-called "catch and release" program (that ended under President Bush in 2006...)
- Stopping (alleged) asylum fraud (even though current asylum laws are harsh and stacked against those fleeing violence and persecution and fraud is not a rampant issue)
- Stopping Central American border crisis (by abandoning American core values of being a shining light on the hill)
- Adding 5,000 Customs and Border Patrol officers (never mind that border crossings are at an all time low and that the CBP budget and number of officers has tripled over the last 15 years)
- Tripling the number of ICE agents (terrorizing immigrant communities and reinstating failed programs like workplace raids)
- Terminating support for "sanctuary cities" (undermining community policing efforts by threatening to take their federal funds from other non-related programs)